Wednesday 31 July 2013

All the Gear...Some Idea

It’s funny, whenever I buy new fishing gear I'm always quite nervous when I first use it.  Whether is because the majority of kit we buy is expensive and I don’t want it to be a waste of money!

Anyway, I recently got hold of a new Airflo Super-Dri line.  I had to wait longer than I hoped due but now I have it and it’s loaded onto my reel.

I went for the Elite line, WF5 in Lichen Green.  I choose this colour because of its understatedness, not sure that is even a word but you get the picture!  If felt it would be best when covering spooky WBT (especially given the waters around me are so low and clear at the moment).  Although highly visible, the line isn’t bright and that appealed to me.  I choose the WF5 to go with my Streamtec Nantec 4/5 wt, which I use on the river and also the Stillwater if needed.

Over the last few weeks it appears every man and his dog has reviewed these lines.  Therefore im not going to go into too much detail on the manufacturing but how it feels and how it fishes:

However for anyone who wants to know here (in blue to make it easier for you to skip) are the specifications and marketing spiel from Airflo  - :

Introducing the new Airflo super-DRI series, the Highest Floating and Slickest Fly Line Available!

Material advances from the science technicians at Airflo have given us the leg up in the floating fly line market. Once you feel, cast and fish one of the new super-DRI lines there's no going back.

Super-DRI Features & Benefits
  • Ultimate high floating PVC Free material
  • Repels water better than any other material
  • Repels dirt and surface scum with a vengeance
  • Slides through the guides better, adding distance to every cast
  • Permanently part of the line, not a coating that leaches out - migration is only good for birds!
  • Easily lifts off the waters surface, less disturbance adding stealth to every fishing situation
  • Easy mending capabilities due to higher floating, adding length to drag free drifts
  • Looped at both ends for easy leader changes
  • Ridged for greater shoot ability and less tangles
  • Power Core for ultra low stretch, extreme feel, and solid hook set

Zone Technology

With new production technology come new designs. Zone technology allows us to use a different material configuration in every part of a fly line. Imagine a line that has a super high floating tip zone, a supple belly zone that throws loops that are exceptionally tight. A haul zone strategically placed that incorporates harder material with less compression making double hauling effortless and extreme durability in a high wear area. And finally a slightly harder but friction free running line zone to make shooting and managing line more efficient. Also a colour change for quick zone reference. This future technology is available now on Airflo's new super-DRI series of fly lines.

The Elite features our go to trout taper, the extremely popular impact taper. A modest front taper and standard head length, this line will do it all, great for all aspects of trout fishing, boat or bank, river, lake or small water. Available in three ideal colours, Lichen Green in WF 2-7, Sunrise Yellow in WF 3-7 and Lichen Green/Sunrise Yellow in a DT 3-6.


Now that’s been covered the big question is; ‘is it any good?’

Well, in a word, Yes.

The first thing I noticed was the extra distance I immediately put on my casts with very little effort.  The line simply glided through my rod rings – for me, this is a good thing!

Observing the line as it drifted down river and I was amazed as to high the line actually sat on the water.  Rather than some of the lines I’ve used in the past, the line sat on top rather than in the surface film.  Because of this I found it so easy to lift off the water and re-cast to a rising fish.  There was very little disturbance on the top and hardly any drag/friction from the line pulling through the water.

The big test would be catching a fish!  I saw a fish rising; I cast over it, initially without luck.  I waited to see if the fish rose again and sure enough it did.  I cast over it and there was a take.  This is what impressed me most about the line, no sooner had the fish rose and I had struck into it the line was out of the water and I was hooked up.  I'm never one for believing ‘the hype’ but this was quite noticeable.  The fish (Grayling - pic below), wasn’t massive but any means, but the take had registered as soon as I struck.  I read somewhere about the line that ‘You'll know when a fish breathes anywhere near your fly’ and to be honest I can understand the comment even if its rather tongue in check!

Wye Grayling

With positives, there must also be negatives.  Given that these are the ‘Highest Floating Lines Available’ this is also where my only negative can be found.  Fishing a dry fly when there was a strong down river wind, saw  the line drift just a bit too fast (despite putting a mend in the line).  With a strong upriver wind, the line almost didn't drift at all.  Now I can’t see these negatives being a deal breaker and they are honestly the only flaws I’ve found so far.

Lets not be naïve here, these lines aren’t going to transform from an average angler into a great angler but I genuinely feel you will see a better hook up rate and fewer missed takes.  With my previously line I'm convinced it was because it was holding almost under the water that I couldn’t strike into the fish effectively.   Who knows, that increase in hook ups may well turn you into a great angler!

Overall I would highly recommend the lines, well this one at least.  Admittedly I have only tried the Elite, which is described as the 'go-to' trout line.  However, the technology looks solid and if Airflo have done such a good job with this then im sure the other lines are up to standard.  I am hoping to pick up and Xceed line soon so I will put a piece together for that too.

Airflo have been producing very technically advanced lines for years and with the Super-Dri they appear to have really raised their game with the floating lines.  Stubourness aside, they should even impress some of the older generation who experienced some of the less desirable floating lines made by Airflo in the 90's!

So now im set.  All the gear and no idea I hear you cry!  Who cares when the scenery is so nice?


Until next time…

4 comments:

  1. I recently got the xceed mate and I am well impressed with it I would recommend it to anyone I have never rated their dry lines previously. The only thing I would say is it does have some weight in the taper so go for the lighter of ratings on your rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the same with the Elite, when I first started using it, it was slapping the water a bit due to the heavy taper. Soon overcame that and since then had no troubles.
      They needed this to be a success because like you I haven't rates their floating lines before.
      Tight lines

      Delete
  2. Great to see you both getting on with these lines! I hope it's still performing well Craig?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No complaints from me. Hope to call in and pick up one of the Xceeds soon.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment...